Cosmetics (colloquially known as makeup or make-up) are care substances used to enhance the appearance or odor of the human body. They are generally mixtures of chemical compounds, some being derived from natural sources, many being synthetic.
Cosmetics that are meant to be applied to the face and eye area are usually applied with a brush or the fingertips.
Most cosmetics are distinguished by the area of the body intended for application.
• Primer, come in various formulas to suit individual skin conditions. Most are meant to reduce the appearance of pore size, prolong the wear of makeup, and allow for a smoother application of makeup, and are applied before foundation.
• Concealer, makeup used to cover any imperfections of the skin.
Concealer is often used for any extra coverage needed to cover blemishes, underage circles, and other imperfections. Concealer is often thicker and more solid than foundation, and provides longer lasting, more detailed coverage. Some formulations are meant only for the eye or only for the face.
• Face powder is used to set the foundation, giving it a matte finish, and also to conceal small flaws or blemishes. Tinted face powders may also be worn alone as a light foundation.
• Rouge, blush or blusher is cheek colouring used to bring out the color in the cheeks and make the cheekbones appear more defined. Rouge comes in powder, cream, and liquid forms.
• Highlight, used to draw attention to the high points of the face as well as to add glow to the face, comes in liquid, cream, and powder forms. It often contains a substance to provide shimmer. A lighter toned foundation/concealer can be used instead of highlight to create a more natural look.
• Bronzer is used to give skin a bit of color by adding a golden or bronze glow, as well as being used for contouring. It comes in either matte, semi matte/satin, or shimmer finishes.
There are many different formulas, including waterproof versions for those prone to allergies or sudden tears. It is often used after an eyelash curler and mascara primer.
Many mascaras now have certain components intended to help lashes appear longer and thicker.
• Eyeliner is used to enhance and elongate the size of the eye.
• Eyebrow pencils, creams, waxes, gels and powders are used to color and define the brows.